Re: How to avoid waiting for locks during delete

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:44:36 GMT

"André Hartmann" <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3f3b6022_at_olaf.komtel.net...

<snip>
> Okay, I have a table of around 100 million rows, around 10 columns, 500
> bytes per row (average), only INTs and VARCHARs and CHARs in the table.
Two
> indexes on the table for rapid select. Even a delete takes 20 seconds
> already (Oracle Enterprise Server 9i, Windows 2000, 500MB RAM, 1GHz Athlon
> processor). So I would be very curious how you can not only delete but
even
> replace (delete + insert) 100 million rows in just a second.
You haven't provided enough information to tell you what is wrong. I suspect that you have 1 disk drive, you are not using bind variables, you are missing an index on a foreign key. Bill probably has a large storage array and is probably using partitioned tables. Have you done an explain plan and a tkprof or run statspack? Are things analyzed? These are basics. Jim
<snip> Received on Thu Aug 14 2003 - 09:44:36 CDT