Loop trough row or get info on row or cursor

From: Tim Gahnstroem <tim.gahnstroem_at_cern.ch>
Date: 14 Aug 2003 01:03:01 -0700

Hello

What kind of information is possible to get from a cursor or a rowtype in oracle pl/sql. I want to display information about a object on a webpage, al information, in one column. The information is stored in one row in one table.

I could of course reference all column names and display the information from one at the time but this gives some disadvantages. First of all, if a column is removed from the table in the future, the program will crash.
Second, if a column is added it will not be displayed and no notice given. So a good thing would be if I could loop trough the table sideways in some way or if I at least could get information about how many columns exist (it is not likely that one column will be removed but perhaps one will be added).

I don't think this is possible in oracle any information (or pointer to a good webpage) about what info I can get out of a cursor or row would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Tim Received on Thu Aug 14 2003 - 03:03:01 CDT