Re: backup disk format

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 13 Aug 2003 23:55:35 -0700

Peter Nunn <pnunn_at_pncomputing.net> wrote

> I've been given the task of looking at the disk format (on Windows)
> for oracle backups. We need this format to write a porting tool of
> sorts.

What you are indirectly asking for, is the internal Oracle format for all its binary files. And that you will not get, not matter the temperature in hell.

You can not take an Oracle datafile from one platform and "port" it to another. Period.

If that is not what you're after Peter, then we will need more details.

The basics.

Porting data from one Oracle platform to another. Oracle Export and Import. Or a dblink. Or replication.

Porting data from Oracle to any other platform and/or database. CSV spool files (easily done with SQL*Plus). These files can be loaded using bcp for SQL-Server or SQL*Loader for Oracle. Alternatively using Oracle Transparent Gateways - which means you can push the data to SQL-Server/Informix/etc from Oracle via the Gateway.

What I really would like to know is the business reason behind this request and what business benefits this will result in.

--
Billy