Re: Oracle clustering & licensing

From: Juha Laiho <Juha.Laiho_at_iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:02:01 GMT

dillon_at_SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org said:
>This sure does answer some of my questions, but actually, what I'm
>trying here is to get 'more processing power' to run Oracle by
>clustering linux servers. That means the servers will combine their
>resources to make oracle run faster and handle more load.

Then you're after Oracle Parallel Server (but I'm not certain if that option is valid for Oracle 9i any more), or Oracle RAC (Real Application Clusters).

If I recall correctly, the RAC option is only available for Oracle Enterprise Edition databases (more expensive than std.ed.), and with RAC you need a license for each CPU in your cluster (per-user licensing also available), and additionally you of course need to license the RAC add-on product.

For accurate details, see the Pricing&Licensing section on www.oracle.com; also see the "Software Investment Guide" in that section; it's a nice "picture book" about different licensing scenarios.

--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland