Re: Oracle clustering & licensing

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 13 Aug 2003 08:16:10 -0700

AcCeSsDeNiEd <dillon_at_SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in message news:<rlejjvgkt6kvjr99naedlomvi8hh4p14bg_at_4ax.com>...
> Would it be possible to cluster 2 or more Linux servers to run
> an Oracle db?
>
> Does that mean that I have to install Oracle 9i on both the servers or just one?
>
> What is Oracle's position of licensing when clustering (e.g CPU licensing)?
>

> Thanks.
>
> To e-mail, remove the obvious

I am pretty sure I read a post by an Oracle employee in the past that stated if you have cluster servers you can run Oracle on one server. In the event of a server failure you can bring the database instance up on one other box in the cluster for somewhere up to 10 - 14 days without having to buy another copy or transfer the license. I was unable to find the post using a search on the newsgroup archives so I suggest you contact Oracle support. The metalink Linux board can probably answer your question.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Aug 13 2003 - 10:16:10 CDT