Re: Really strange system problems with standalone

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:36:53 GMT

> I figured this out. I forgot to install the Windows 2000 Security patch
> for the MSBLAST virus. My machine was infected by it.

I get this sort of thing at work all the time. People don't fully understand Oracle and if they even smell Oracle and their problem close to each other, then it must be the database's fault. Below is a reenactment of an actual phone conversation:

DBA: Snappy Sam here to fix your Oracle problems! LUser: Hello. Your database is broken! I can't print from Oracle Forms any more.
DBA: I see. Can you print from MS Word?

LUser: No.
DBA: Hmmm. This is tricky. Can you print from Internet Explorer?
LUser: No. In fact, I can't even open a page on any web site.
DBA: Sounds to me like a network problem. LUser: No. I'm sure that it must be the database's fault. (The rest is a long-winded dialogue from the LUser on why they are 100% sure it must be the database's fault. This dialogue is normally full of many technical errors and a complete showing of their lack of problem solving skills). DBA: Well, you've convinced me. It must be the database's fault. I see that Oracle already has a bug filed for your particular problem. The solution from Oracle is to reboot your workstation. Did that solve the problem?
LUser: Yes it did! Thanks!
DBA: Anytime.

Cheers!
Brian