Re: How to avoid waiting for locks during delete

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:53:35 +0200

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:55:54 +0200, "André Hartmann" <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>. Our applications handle
>dozens of GB of data in this datamodel with an acceptable degree of both
>consistency and performance.

There is no such thing as 'an acceptable degree of consistency' Either the database is consistent or it is inconsistent. Allowing consistency by leaving out mandatory constraints should be considered bad practice: sooner or later you will get hurt. Also I am not aware of any application where cascade delete is so liberally used as you do. Obviously you seem also to abide on 'Don't let one hand do what the other does'. I wouldn't call this modular programming, I would call this asking for trouble. If your 'modules' all use one schema, all modules should be aware of all foreign key constraints there are. Dealing with a foreign key constraint in several modules, not changing others is unacceptable. Also, so far, you didn't come up with any *proof* locks are really the culprit. You might just be suffering from inadequate access paths. If you experience waits, you should analyze what your session is waiting for, instead of going to crusade against the way Oracle handles locking.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Aug 12 2003 - 12:53:35 CDT