Re: ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace ACCOUNT

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:38:29 +0200

First; You provide no info about Oracle Version or if You have LMT or DMT ...

"Sharad K" <sk_at_sk.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bha060$vvj6o$1_at_ID-192448.news.uni-berlin.de...
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to update my schema on Oracle when I got the following error
> message.
> "ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace
> ACCOUNT".
> On googling I read that it meant that there was no free extent in the
> tablespace system greater than or
> equal to the extent size I was asking for.
>
> The ways it suggested me -
> 1.Add a datafile.
> 2.Resize the datafile if space available.

Anyway,

first check out for free spaces:

select TABLESPACE_NAME, round(sum(BYTES)/1024/1024) "MB free"  from dba_free_space
 where tablespace_name = 'ACCOUNT'
 group by TABLESPACE_NAME;

TABLESPACE_NAME                   MB free
------------------------------ ----------
ACCOUNT                           0 (maybe)

1 Zeile ausgewählt.

If you have this case, then Your TS could not take the load of more schema objects, it is full.

So, if Your TS is in fact too small
-> try resize first to the max. file size of the OS, and if reached, only then add a datafile
,
or Your intial extents clause is sized too big -> make it smaller (and use uniform extent sized LMTs).

> Could anyone please explain me the problem more precisely

You just seem to need space ... go into the concepts manual about storage priciples in Oracle.
->http://tahiti.oracle.com, search for "Tablespaces, Segments, Extents, Blocks"

hth, Jan Received on Tue Aug 12 2003 - 03:38:29 CDT