Re: ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:29:55 +0000

Originally posted by Andrew
> Hi,
>
> I am testing a PL/SQL that calls OS command. It works fine but it
> seems that I have to give the permission on each OS command in
> dbms_java.grant_permission command. I tried to use wildcard but it
> didn't work. The worst thing is that if I had not given permission,
> Oracle would crash. I'll get above message if I tried to login again.
>
> I found that I have to reboot my PC to make it works again. Is there
> any way to avoid rebooting? BTW, the Oracle is 9.2 standard version
> under Windows 2000.
>
> Once it works, I'll test it under Open/VMS. It seems it's very
> unstable in Windows environment. I copied one Java program from askTom
> page.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Oracle has it's own security and Java has it's own security on top of that.... which is a good thing. You don't want to open up the OS to any user accessing the database. Worst is if you grant permission using a wildcard *.... that is asking for trouble.

Java security is not "on commands" per se but according to what a user/role is trying to access i.e local directory, file/s, TCP port, remote server etc. Typically for directory and files... you have to grant either read, write or delete access. You can grant them all separately or inside one command as read,write,delete. Make sure to commit changes after you grant permission.

Goto http://tahiti.oracle.com and look for docs on Java security.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar