Re: A normalisation issue

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 11 Aug 2003 11:06:02 -0700

seb6_at_bton.ac.uk (Stratos) wrote in message news:<6d926bff.0308110414.98c0e4a_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> I want to ask you a question about normalisation.
> I have got a long table with 8 fields(mandatory) that always store a
> value, and 20 fields(optional) than can either get a NULL or non-NULL
> value.
>
> Is it better to split this table up into two tables, one having all
> the
> mandatory fields and the other one having all the optional fields? Or
> is
> it fine to leave this table as it is?
> Thank you.

Are they logically separate entities? Are the optional fields dependent on the mandatory fields? Lots of other similar question you should ask on your way to designing the table or tables used to store this information.

Then once you have the logical design done, you have to ask the hard physical design questions such as: if the data is split into two tables, will performance suffer for frequently used queries? Or is the split useful in that backup and restore of data is easier? or...

IOW, with the vague question you asked, all we can say is IT DEPENDS!

  HTH
   ed Received on Mon Aug 11 2003 - 13:06:02 CDT