The problem is with lsnrctl START LISTENER

From: CW <calvin_woodno.spam_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:36:52 +1000

I just reinstalled Oracle PE 8.1.7, and trying to see if there was anything I could pick up from the installation process.

Upon closer examinatin, Net8 Configuration Assistant actually got stuck when the Universal Install was trying to run "lsnrctl START LISTENER" command.

Once I killed lsnrctl process, the Universal Installer went on to the next step (creating database using Database Configuration Assistant), and of course that failed as usual.

I tried to run lsnrctl manually, and found a few interesting things.

If I stop the listener service (using MMC) before running the command, all I get is "waiting..." from lsnrctl. It never exited from the program (and thus why the Installer hang).

If I started the service beforehand, lsnrctl would complain of the service already running.

When I try to tsnping, I may or may not get a positive response. However, if I stop and restart listener service from MMC, tnsping definitely would work.

Thus, it appears to me that lsnrctl is the culprit. "CW" <calvin_woodno.spam_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3f37664c_at_dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Still no luck trying to create a DB using Database Configuration
Assistant.

> "CW" <calvin_woodno.spam_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Daniel
> >
> > Thanks for the response, and here is what I have found out.
> >
> > (1) Yes, w2kadv is the correct netbios name as well as dns name as far
as
> > the private tcp/ip network is concerned.
> >
> > (2) I don't have a tnsnames.ora file in my orahome80\network\admin
> > directory. I do have a sample tnsnames.ora in my
> > orahome80\network\admin\sample directory, as well as in
orahome80\hs\admin
> > directory (though these are files have no contents at all). I do have
> > listener.ora as well as sqlnet.ora in the network\admin directory.
Tnsping
> > produces the following output:
> > "TNS Ping Utililty ....blah blah...
> >
> > Atempting to contact <ADDRESS=<PROTOCOL=TCP><HOST=w2kadv><PORT=1521>>
> > TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
> >
> > (3) I renamed sqlnet.ora to sqlnet.bak, and reconfigured using Net8
> > Configuration Assistant (I assume that's what you mean by retrying). The
> > screen still got stuck at the finish step, and no additional sqlnet.ora
> file
> > was produced.
> >
> > (4)There is only 1 listener service called OracleOraHome80TNSListener
> > service in the services MMC, and it is up and running. As I mentioned in
> my
> > original post, if I configure additional listener in the Net8
> Configuration
> > Assistant, I will get additional listener service in the Services MMC.
> >
> > (5) and (6) My database directory is empty other than a oradba.exe and
> > archive directory.
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message

> > sound

> > w2k

> the
> > Configuration