Temporary tablespace size

From: Gary <rooty_hill2002_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 10 Aug 2003 21:36:32 -0700

Hi! All,

I am Oracle newbie and I am using 9i2 on HP-UX 11i.

I am puzzled by the size of the temporary tablespaces at the moment. My Data Warehouse team is building a new data mart at the moment, lots of sorting, I suppose. The database is of about 50G, it takes 3.5G temporary tablespace and it just stays there and never changes, even when after I shutdown the instance and no new session is connected.

I thought temporary tablespace is the last thing I need to worry about. I made it locally managed and big enough. Automated segment space management is not available for temporary tablespace as far as I know.

Just curious to want to know. I know the fact that sort segment created for each instance is reused and it is only dropped if the tablespace is dropped. Does this have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance for all inputs.

Gary Received on Sun Aug 10 2003 - 23:36:32 CDT