Re: top 10 oracle quirks

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 8 Aug 2003 05:22:47 -0700

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3F311071.4A49DEE_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> My favorite quirk is when they don't use the same naming conventions in
> the DD views. For instance, in DBA_INDEXES, there is a column called
> OWNER. But in DBA_IND_COLUMNS it is INDEX_OWNER. All DBA_object (where
> object is something like TABLES, INDEXES, etc) there is an OWNER column,
> but in DBA_SEQUENCES it is SEQUENCE_OWNER.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian
>

> Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:
> >
> > Here is my short list. Hope people would contribute
> >
> > 1. O7_DICTIONARY_COMPATIBLITY
> >
> > (somebody told me it's still there in 10i beta)
> >
> > 2. VARCHAR2
> >
> > the 2!
> >
> > 3. _optimizer_undo_cost_change and _table_scan_cost_plus_one
> >
> > can't decide which one is funnier
>
> --
>
> Brian Peasland
> dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com
>
> Remove the "remove_spam." from the email address to email me.
>

> "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of
> the three"

i hate that. different names for the same field in different data dictionary views.

if you look at the forms demo you see 'when others then null' all over the place and you should never use that. cant believe they put that into a demo. other than the when others its a REALLY slick demo too. lots of good reusable code. Received on Fri Aug 08 2003 - 07:22:47 CDT