Re: top 10 oracle quirks

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 8 Aug 2003 04:03:42 -0700

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message :

> no need to put dual into a read only tablespace under 9i, you can't
> write to it anymore !

What!? HUH! DAMMIT!!!

SQL> select object_type, owner from dba_objects where object_name = 'DUAL';

OBJECT_TYPE OWNER

------------------ ------------------------------
TABLE              SYS
SYNONYM            PUBLIC

SQL> drop public synonym dual;

Synonym dropped.

SQL> create table xdual as select * from dual

Table created.

SQL> create public synonym dual for xdual;

Synonym created.
SQL> insert into xdual values ( 'Y' );

1 row created.

SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE

08-AUG-03 hmm..... darnit!

[changed connection from SYS to a normal db user...] SQL> select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE

08-AUG-03
08-AUG-03 ah.... [satisfied grin]

[few minutes later on the phone]

me : "Yes, the dual table always give problems when you

     use SELECT in uppercase, dual in lowercase, in an
     Oracle schema called PROD when connecting via MS-Access.
     It is Microsoft thing."
     "Er yes.. I can possibly implement a work around.. but
     that will require some overtime and some serious wizzardy..
     but I'm sure I can pull it off."
     "Good. I will start on it right away. By the way, I'm busy
     putting a mail together about my contract extension and
     hourly rate increase. Can you have an urgent look at that?"
     "Great!"

--
[just a normal day in the life of an Oracle DBA From Hell]