Re: pushing tnsnames changes over the network

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:10:03 -0700

Ray Porter wrote:

> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:31:35 -0400, "Ray Porter" <ray_porter_at_unc.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> > So *merge* them into one. Probably also asked to much. If you have
> > anarchy you will end up in a mess.
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Sybrand,
> That would be the best solution -- which probably means it'll never be done
> here. Seriously it may be attempted here some day but getting all the
> schools and departments to cooperate will be a real challenge. We could
> then use your earlier suggestions (Names or OID) and life would be much
> simpler. Um, let's see, simpler, logical, makes sense -- nope, it'll never
> happen here.
>
> Oh well, in the interval, I'm busy writing a little utility users will be
> able to execute from the application web site that should take care of the
> problem in 98% of the cases.
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

As one academic to another ... merge what you can and let everything else fail. After it fails they will ask you to fix it. Tell them what you need to fix it. You'll likely get what you need.

Without failure ... often there are none willing to help with the solution.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu