Re: pushing tnsnames changes over the network

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:35:56 GMT

Is there a centralized file server? If so, then put your TNSNAMES.ORA on that and set your TNS_ADMIN to point to this directory. One centralized change hits everybody.

If that doesn't work, then can you FTP the file to the other machines? If so, then have a look at Expect (http://ftp.cme.nist.gov). Expect is a scripting language that lets you spawn other programs or utlities. You tell the script what to "expect" and it will know how to reply. With this, you can fully automate an FTP process. We also have Expect scripts to use SQL*Plus to change any Oracle password on multiple instances. So when it is time to change SYS or SYSTEM, fire up the script and it can connect to many, many instances and change the passwords for you rather quickly. Sure beats signing on to each and every system to do the passwd change. You can even code Expect to do error handling. If FTP is not available to you, then you might have something like rcp, all of which Expect can handle.

HTH,
Brian

Ray Porter wrote:

> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:01:35 -0400, "Ray Porter" <ray_porter_at_unc.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Why building such a tool if Oracle provides Oracle Names and/or Oracle
> > Internet Directory, which will both centralize the tnsnames.ora and
> > have the client connect Names or OID?
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >

> Because here, and I suspect on many university/college campuses, each school
> and department is its own little fiefdom. With in one school on this campus
> each department maintains its own file servers and largely determines
> network architecture and which tools will be used and how they will be
> installed. Tech support folks in that school tell me that because of
> funding sources (both public and private) there is no reasonable hope of any
> sort of centralized tech support in that school. There are no Oracle Name
> Servers setup on this campus and no plans for any to my knowledge nor are
> there any plans for an Oracle Internet Directory. That leaves those of us
> supporting applications used across departments with a lot of challenges
> (the main app I'm concerned about is in about 60 departments across campus
> and several remote locations spread across the USA). Our only alternative
> for client-side applications at this time is a tnsnames.ora on the each
> workstation.
>
> So my question stands, does anyone have a tool that might be able to push a
> tnsnames.ora change out across a LAN? It needs to be able to locate a
> single service name in the tnsnames.ora and change only that service name
> attributes (actually just the host name). I'm not sure how much the fact
> that some departments have users running applications using different
> versions of Oracle and may have multiple tnsnames.ora files on their
> workstations.
>
> Ray Porter

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com