Re: OEM 9.2.0

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 22:18:24 -0700

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote

> That's my complaint with OEM too....just too damned slow. Even running
> on a workstation with at least 2.0GHz and more than enough free memory.

Ditto.

> But I guess that's what you get with a Java app.

Yep.. did I told you that Java sucks? :-)

> I haven't seen Billy's problem either. Except for the slowness, OEM has
> worked just fine for me.

What do you use Brian? Except for WinXP at home, I run OEM always as a remote X display. My guess is that there are issues with that.. Java running with its displays being done on a remote X server. I can probably try running it inside my Linux's Win2000 virtual machine, but that is already slow (and only exist for doing the corporate Microsoft mailing thing).

What is frustrating that all the other X stuff works fine. The lone exception being HP's Omniback which uses specific graphic calls that only their X server supports (it does not run at all on any other X server).

--
Billy