queries not utilizing indexes - any ideas?

From: Ixnay <mscgloss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 09:12:44 -0700

Hello All,

I have an issue that seems a bit odd: I have a query that is joining two tables, and the join columns are both indexed in their respective tables. Yet the query doesn't seem to utilize the indexes and runs extremely slow. Our DBA stated that "the oracle execution plan doesn't choose to use the index." Now I'm no DBA, but that just doesn't seem right. I've searched on-line and off-line documentation but nothing seems to match up with this issue.

I know this description of my issue is probably woefully lacking in relevant info, but can anyone offer any insight as to why a particular query would not utilize the indexes?

I'm running Oracle 8.1.7.

Thank you in advance,

Mike Received on Wed Aug 06 2003 - 11:12:44 CDT