Re: oracle lower compatible?

From: Pari <mynuacct_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 06:42:32 -0700

The application which generates the data runs on Solaris Intel. We have a streaming application to stream it to the database. Right now, I have to ftp the data to a linux machine and from there I run the streamer to oracle. Would like to run the streamer on solaris itself. Pari

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3F2EC6A0.967183CC_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> According to Oracle Corp: "RDBMS 8.1.7 is the terminal release for this
> platform", where this platform is Solaris running on Intel. Solaris on
> Sparc is still a viable platform for Oracle 9i and up.
>
> If you have an Intel platform, then why not run Linux instead? I believe
> that Linux on Intel is a major reason why Oracle is no longer supporting
> Solaris on Intel.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> Pari wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Various sources point out that the last oracle database version for
> > solaris (x86) is 8.1.7.
> > I am developing a data streaming application for streaming data any
> > database, and now I need
> > to support it for oracle.
> > Would like to know if streaming from oracle 8 client to an oracle 9
> > server is a feasibility
> > and if somebody has tried it out. I am interested in a very limited
> > feature set of simple
> > inserts and queries.
> > I do

n't want to buy the oracle 8 cds (solaris x86) from oracle and try