Re: oracle lower compatible?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:48:32 GMT

According to Oracle Corp: "RDBMS 8.1.7 is the terminal release for this platform", where this platform is Solaris running on Intel. Solaris on Sparc is still a viable platform for Oracle 9i and up.

If you have an Intel platform, then why not run Linux instead? I believe that Linux on Intel is a major reason why Oracle is no longer supporting Solaris on Intel.

HTH,
Brian

Pari wrote:

> Hi,
> Various sources point out that the last oracle database version for
> solaris (x86) is 8.1.7.
> I am developing a data streaming application for streaming data any
> database, and now I need
> to support it for oracle.
> Would like to know if streaming from oracle 8 client to an oracle 9
> server is a feasibility
> and if somebody has tried it out. I am interested in a very limited
> feature set of simple
> inserts and queries.
> I don't want to buy the oracle 8 cds (solaris x86) from oracle and try
> it out myself.
> Thanks
> Pari

Brian Peasland