Re: 8i or 9i

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 14:05:53 GMT

Minti wrote:

> I am having a problem in deciding as to which book that I need to
> follow for learning oracle. The problem is that in my college
> coursework we have to learn oracle 8i. But I would like to go for 9i,
> can anybody tell me the differences between 8i and 9i. And also
> possibly suggestions on books. Is 8i a subset of 9i?
> I think that if one knows 8i, 9i would be a sort of natural
> progression.
> --

In some ways you could consider 8i a subset of 9i. By using the 'compatibility' capability, you can also make 9i work virtually the same as 8i.

8i is slated to be discontinued in December. You might want to search the archives for further discussion.

Finally, the list of new features in 9i and 9i release 2 are summarized in the phenomenal (and free) book called "Oracle9i Database New Features / Release 2 (9.2)". This is Oracle's part # A96531-02 and is available (along with all of Oracle's other docco, free of charge) at Oracle Technology Network.

You can get at that book through the following http://otn.oracle,com

    >> click on "Documentation"
    >> click on "Oracle9i Database Release 2" (under Database section)
    >> click on :View Library" (under Oracle9i Database Release 2
Documentation Library)