Re: Disabling Shared Server

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 10:57:34 +1000

On 2 Aug 2003 16:04:05 -0700, Robert Brown <robertbrown1971_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need to change Oracle 9i (installed by the DBA before me) from
> shared server (MTS) configuration to the dedicated server
> configuration. I am new to oracle 9i and there is no more init.ora
> file and I am not sure which parameter "throws the switch". I read the
> 9i Admin Guide quite carefully on this subject (chapter on managing
> oracle processes) and was not able to find the answer. It describes
> all the different parameters for the shared server configuration and
> monitoring but does not mention how you turn MTS mode on and off. Can
> some one please let me know what the paramer name is or point me to
> the right chapter?
>

> - robert

You mention not having an init.ora any more. That means, presumably, you have an spfile.ora instead (a binary version of the same thing). The parameter to switch off MTS is 'dispatchers=....' (because if there are no dispatchers, you get dedicated server processes. In theory you can issue an 'alter system' command to modify anything in the spfile, but there's a bug with DISPATCHERS=, so that it can't be set within the spfile.

Therefore, you need to export your spfile to a traditional init.ora (create pfile from spfile;).

Then you can edit the new init.ora to remove the line DISPATCHERS=... (while you're at it, remove SHARED_SERVERS=xxx as well).

Then you export the init.ora back into being an spfile (create spfile from pfile;).

And then you can start up.

Just one word of warning: that's really all you have to do on the server- sode of things, and if the previous DBA had any sense, that's all you'll have to do period. But, it is possible that the previous DBA edited the client-side connection files (tnsnames.ora) so that they include a line 'SERVER=SHARED', which means that your client explicitly demands a shared server connection... since you no longer have dispatchers or shared servers, the client will be unable to connect if that line's there. So get rid of it if it is. Hopefully, however, you won't need to edit anything on the client-side, but check to be sure.

~QM Received on Sat Aug 02 2003 - 19:57:34 CDT