Re: Newbie cannot login

From: Richard <qaz1521_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 00:31:16 +0100

See comments

"newbie" <newbs__--_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgb9hj$61hdb$1_at_ID-158805.news.uni-berlin.de...
> I installed Oracle 8i on Windows 2003
> I have the same problem when I installed Oracle 9i on Windows XP Pro
> I have no idea what you mean by "Oracle not running"

I've not used Oracle on Windows 2003 or XP but I'd assume it works in a similar way to NT.

To use Oracle, the Oracle server processes need to be running (it's multithreaded on Windows so you might only see one process) and you need to have in memory data structures set up.

By default, starting up the Windows service does not make Oracle useable. There is a command line utility called ORADIM (might be ORADIM80 in Oracle 8i) that you can run. Type this into a DOS window to see a list of options.

You should be able to type a command like this at the command prompt:-

  oradim -edit -sid TEST1 -startmode a

The SID parameter is the Oracle system identifier. You will have specified this when you created the databases (Test1 I think you said). Also, it will appear in the names of the OracleService services that get created.

The '-startmode a' parameter tells Oracle to start automatically when OracleServiceTEST1 starts. If you set the service to start automatically at boot time and use

   oradim -edit -sid TEST1 -startmode a

then your database should be accessible shortly after boot time.

> I looked in all help files & they are not much help

In my opinion, the help files and documentation are good for reference but not good for learning Oracle if you are just starting out. There are some good books around though so it would probably be worth having a look round a decent book shop.

The alternative is training courses but these tend to be very expensive. I was lucky because my employers paid for my training but not everybody is this fortunate. I think Oracle run some sort of CD or Internet based training and this might be a bit less costly.

> I have two databases called Test1 & Test 2
> In the Oracle Admin Assistant they show up under Databases item
> I can start & stop the Service successfully on them
> However when I click on the first item called connect database, a popup
> window asks for username & password
> In the top of the box it says
> "Enter the Oracle username and password with which to connect to the
> database. To avoid being prompted with this dialog box again, grant
database
> administrator privileges to your NT user name".
> I have full rights to this machine (at home) as admin. How do I do this ?

If I remember correctly, you need to create a Windows user group called ORA_DBA and add to this all of the Windows users you want to allow to connect to the database without a password.

> I also noticed in 8i that there was no Enterprise Manager as a Start Menu
> item
> but I see it in 9i. Was it used to be an optional item in 8i or something
?

Not sure about this but you can download Enterprise Manager from technet.oracle.com.

Good luck,

Richard