Re: Newbie cannot login

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 15:53:27 -0700

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3F29623D.B87B395D_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> > I am afraid I strongly disagree .........because it is a serious design
> > issue with Oracle if Newbies have to struggle so much just to access a
> > sample test database.
> <<snip>>
> > Also if I do need professional help then that is an issue with Oracle
> > It is not intended for the masses but only the elite.......that is fine with
> > me
>
> I think that you are begging the question here. You are assuming that
> Oracle is a database that is intended for use by the masses right out of
> the box. If this is they type of database that you are seeking, then MS
> Access is for you. Right out of the box you can begin to use it.

I agree with the Newbie - Oracle should reduce to something useable right out of the box. I've used Oracle for a full 20 years, and there are plenty of things in the new stuff that throw me the first time I see them. Twenty years ago, I had it up and useable in a very brief period of time - this totally amazed the person in charge of the project, my not-so-secret was I already had been working with R's for several years. At that time, one didn't have to worry about all the detritus one does now. It's better than a couple of years ago, but still, there is _no_ reason it can't just work out-of-box, given some reasonable, explicit configuration assumptions.

To Newbie: Look around, there are books/cd's designed just for you. It _is_ a steep learning curve. And unless you want to be a data entry clerk, it is worthwhile.

To Hans: That _was_ a good answer. It is difficult to speak to expectations.

Brian: Not really a good analogy because it implies O is small and fast and others scale up better, but I won't tear it apart. Maybe it should be the difference between a hiring a bicycle messenger and using a delivery company?

> The analogy that I'll use is that of a commercial airliner and a fighter
> jet. With a commercial airliner, you pay your fee (which really isn't
> that much) and you board the plane and you'll arrive at your
> destination. All of the details will be taken care of you behind the
> scenes. But don't expect to do too much with the commercial airliner. It
> will get you from point A to point B and you don't have any choice how
> you get there or what you do along the way.
>
> Or, you can pony up the big bucks and have a fighter jet and be able to
> do the most incredible things with it. Don't expect to spend lots of
> money on the fighter jet and be able to just sit in the cockpit and take
> off. It doesn't work like that. There is steep learning curve with
> Oracle, just like a trying learn to fly a fighter jet. Oracle was never
> designed to be used by the masses with ease, so please don't complain if
> you find it difficult.
>
> Oracle is not trying to make things complicated just to be elitist. It
> is complicated because of the wonderful things it can do. It is the
> power behind the product that makes it complicated. If you are trying to
> learn Oracle, you'll have to keep in mind that it is a complex product
> and that the learning curve is very steep. It only takes a minute to get
> hooked, but a lifetime to master.
>
> As for the rest of the rhetoric, I'll just leave it alone....

And there, a flash of genius :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Will somebody please tell Mr. Bush that "taking personal