Re: Newbie cannot login

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:38:53 GMT

> I am afraid I strongly disagree .........because it is a serious design
> issue with Oracle if Newbies have to struggle so much just to access a
> sample test database.

<<snip>>
> Also if I do need professional help then that is an issue with Oracle
> It is not intended for the masses but only the elite.......that is fine with
> me

I think that you are begging the question here. You are assuming that Oracle is a database that is intended for use by the masses right out of the box. If this is they type of database that you are seeking, then MS Access is for you. Right out of the box you can begin to use it.

The analogy that I'll use is that of a commercial airliner and a fighter jet. With a commercial airliner, you pay your fee (which really isn't that much) and you board the plane and you'll arrive at your destination. All of the details will be taken care of you behind the scenes. But don't expect to do too much with the commercial airliner. It will get you from point A to point B and you don't have any choice how you get there or what you do along the way.

Or, you can pony up the big bucks and have a fighter jet and be able to do the most incredible things with it. Don't expect to spend lots of money on the fighter jet and be able to just sit in the cockpit and take off. It doesn't work like that. There is steep learning curve with Oracle, just like a trying learn to fly a fighter jet. Oracle was never designed to be used by the masses with ease, so please don't complain if you find it difficult.

Oracle is not trying to make things complicated just to be elitist. It is complicated because of the wonderful things it can do. It is the power behind the product that makes it complicated. If you are trying to learn Oracle, you'll have to keep in mind that it is a complex product and that the learning curve is very steep. It only takes a minute to get hooked, but a lifetime to master.

As for the rest of the rhetoric, I'll just leave it alone....

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com