Re: Subtracting Dates

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:47:40 GMT

> Can remember
> phoning Oracle support the first time I did it, about twelve years ago,
> wondering why my minutes weren't ticking over. lol

Just this week, I had a developer ask me why Oracle wasn't advancing the minutes, but the server was. The minutes were always '07' no matter what the hour was. He then asked me if I had changed some parameter to cause this....as if the ADVANCE_MINUTES=FALSE parameter even exists........

I knew what the problem was right away having done this myself when I was rather green. But I asked a fellow DBA to diagnose the problem. She couldn't. When I pointed out the problem, she went "ohhhhh...I should known better". When I asked her what the format mask for minutes was, she replied "MN" and I promptly yanked her DBA card.....LOL....

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com