Re: Is perfection attainable?

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.invalid>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:47:07 -0400

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:23:55 -0400, Phil Singer
> <psinger1_at_chartermi.invalid> wrote:
>

>>Hello all.
>>
>>I have been fighting some ORA 3113 errors.  I am soliciting some advice
>>as to whether or not my fight is hopeless.
>>

> 1 ora-3113 errors have numerous causes.

Which can be summarized as:

  1. Failures at the database server.
  2. Failures in the network.
  3. Failures by the client.

> 2 Many of those causes have nothing to do with the network, but with
> the application.
> 3 One common cause is problems with the shared pool
> 4 In a normal configuration you don't have 3113's
> 5 So: Yes, you can and should eliminate them
> 6 You are probably not searching in the right direction now

I must say I'm sorry. In my effort to condense 4 months of work I left out important information.

We are a large enough organization to merit on-site Oracle support. The required Net8 traces were made, the database server logs were examined, network sniffers were put in place, the other 50 applications which connect to this database server were questioned, etc. At the end of all this, (a) was pretty much eliminated as the source of the problem.

The networking group has also claimed that they are innocient.

The vendor for the client hardware (and the switchbox, cable, and NIC have already been swapped out "just in case") says there is no problem there.

Office politics decree that the fault cannot lie in the client software.

We are getting one failure per 200,000 connections, on an unpredictable basis (about 5/week). We could live with that if the client application was modified to handle these errors more politely (it currently goes into crisis mode and assumes the database server has crashed). I think I can get management to O.K. doing this if I can convince them that networks just can't get more reliable than this. And this is what I am trolling for. And I am doing it here because (as a long time lurker, rare poster) I respect the collective wisdom of this group.

Sybrand, if this makes you curse, I can read German.