Remove whitespaces in varchar2

From: Marc Eggenberger <marc.eggenberger_at_itc.alstom.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:25:13 +0200

Hi there.

I have several varchar2 columns which are updated from userinput in another db system. The user tend to enter the input in various ways. Some with spaces, some without, some with tabs etc etc ....

I want to remove them before updating my main table with the data. When I do a replace(string1 IN VARCHAR2, pattern IN VARCHAR2) how can I specify whitespaces? Is there a special character as a replacement for Whitespaces like for example \w or similar or do I have to replace space, tab etc one by one?

System is 8.1.7.0.0 on Windows.

thanks for any hints.

--
mfg