Re: Problem with handle leaks...?!

From: Tilman Kuepper <kuepper_at_xgraphic.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:03:02 +0200

Hello...

> I don't understand.. Task Manager can not detect or show leaks. It
> simply shows processes and threads.

With Windows 2000 the Task-Manager can be customized to show the number of open handles of each running process. (As well as the number of threads, the allocated memory and many more things...)

> If there are 10 threads running for process FOO.EXE and you are only
> expecting 2 threads, then:
> - the threads takes longer to complete than what you estimated
> - the thread's terminating condition is not met (or met as expected)

While the test program executes, the number of running threads increases and decreases as expected. But the number of open handles only increases; two handles with every new db connection...

This "handle leak" only shows up, if the db connection is created by a worker thread; if I don't use threads the problem is gone...

> Am not familiar at all with MFC, but how sure are you that the threads
> that you create do indeed terminate on cue?

Very sure... ;-)

Thanks for your reply.
Tilman Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 02:03:02 CDT