Re: Oracle client, ODBC drivers, cpio, and oracle installer?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:31:24 +0100

"Bradley Hennon" <brad_at_hennon.net> wrote in message news:730c4cb8.0307290857.24bbc486_at_posting.google.com...
> First let me say, I know nothing about oracle, sql, programming, and
> very little Unix.
>
> I have a user running Windows 2000 sp2. We are installing an app that
> connects to a database server using oracle...I think.
>
> I have installed the same app on multiple machines with the same set
> up as this particular user without trouble. The app has been built
> using windows installer technology and attempts to connect to the
> database during the install. I get a oracle connection error halfway
> throught the install and the install aborts.
>
> I decided that I should try and re-install the oracle client and
> started doing some looking around on the oracle site. I have given up
> trying to fix this users issue temporarily but have not been able to
> get a grasp on all the downloads on the oracle site or how to use some
> of them.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> 1. I downloaded oracle lite 9.1 and extracted it to my windows 2000
> machine. From the extension I realize that I need to use cpio to
> extract the necessary file. The problem is that I download cpio and
> now need to "compile" it to run on my machine and have no idea how to
> do so.
>
> I have 63 files from the cpio download with cryptic instructions for
> compiling the program, which looks like it is written in "c". The
> instructions look like that are meant for Unix and do not work on my
> 2k machine.
>
> What do I need to do to extract the olite_50200_aix5l.cpio file? Once
> I extract it, will it be something I can use to re-install the oracle
> client?, or will it be more cryptic instructions.

That looks distinctly like a file intended for IBM AIX not MS Windows. In any case as TurkBear suggests you'd be better off downloading a full client for windows.

That said It may well be that no reinstallation is required at all. You say that you get an Oracle connection error during the install. Any chance of sharing the error message with us. it may well mean something.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA