Re: Newbie : Group by price SQL

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:08:00 -0700

Rich wrote:

> I need to create a daily report that shows management sales group by
> price. I wanted to know if it is possible to use a single SQL
> statement in order to do this. The report will look something like
> this :
>
> Column A Column B Column C Total
> of A, B, C
>
> Price < $10 Price > $11 to < $20 Price > $21
>
> Customer A $1,000.00 $500.00 $20.00
> $1,520.00

Lets review:

  1. No Oracle version or edition
  2. No view of the starting data
  3. No sample SQL statement demonstrating you have invested any energy on doing this

Of course it can be done but there is a proviso ... you added "single SQL statement" and that is a clear indication that this request is not part of a real-world job but rather an academic exercise. In the real-world we are told to solve problems. We are not given intentional road-blocks.

So hit your class notes and no doubt you can figure it out. Otherwise answer questions 1-3 and someone will give you a hint ... not the full answer.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu