Re: Is perfection attainable?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:46:02 +0200

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:23:55 -0400, Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.invalid> wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>I have been fighting some ORA 3113 errors. I am soliciting some advice
>as to whether or not my fight is hopeless.
>
>Some backgound: 8.1.7.4 on a Sequent, with Net 8 version 8.1.7. This
>is an application running on the internal network of a major global
>company (whose internal policies require that I not mention its name).
>In its home base in the US, we have the typical fiber optic network.
>However, we also get logins from Europe and Oz, with slower lines.
>We get the 3113 when the TCP connection supporting a long running
>query times out.
>
>Now I know that by setting a few Net 8 and TCP parameters I can make
>sure that I never time out. However, then clients will hang and other
>bad things will happen. I can prevent those bad things by setting an
>even shorter time out interval, but then the 3113's will increase.
>
>Here is my question: somewhere between a very short time out setting,
>and a very long time out setting there must be an optimal setting. I
>am ready to try and find it myself, and I know that someone unfamiliar
>with my network cannot do it for me. What I am wondering, is, once I
>find this optimal setting, will I still find _some_ sessions timing
>out? Is 100% perfection possible, or should I resign myself for
>99.999%?
>
>Thanks.

1 ora-3113 errors have numerous causes.
2 Many of those causes have nothing to do with the network, but with the application.
3 One common cause is problems with the shared pool 4 In a normal configuration you don't have 3113's 5 So: Yes, you can and should eliminate them 6 You are probably not searching in the right direction now

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jul 28 2003 - 22:46:02 CDT