Re: Backing up Data in Oracle 9.2

From: Can Oezdemir <no_at_spam.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:53:07 +0200

Hi,

> an export does NOT constitute a physical backup.
> Please brush up your shell skills

Errm, all I need is to rebuild the database after a new OS installation. And an export should be sufficient for this purpose, shouldn't it? Well, the manual says so at least (assuming I've understood it correctly). I've done a full export, but I guess an export on a user basis would have done it also....all the necessary tables werde saved in a binary format in "EXPDAT.DMP". And then I burnt it on a CD....why can't I speak of a backup then? Maybe I'm completely mistaken...would be kind if you gave me a hint, as to why this is not to be seen as a backup...

Kind regards,

                    Can