Re: Strange tablespace overflow error

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:01:17 GMT

> Thanks to all of you guys! I will discuss this with out local DBA; we
> already concluded that the tablespace is highly fragmented. We think a full
> defragmentation will resolve the problem!

Fragmentation, by itself will not cause the problem. If you defragment your tablespace, and your problem no longer exists, then I would suggest that in the process of defragmenting, you reduced row chaining and migration. But without taking further steps to get a handle on the problem, you will forever be in a cycle of defragmenting your tablespace to resolve what appears to be a recurring problem. In other words, defragmenting is the wrong solution which will appear to work, only to have to be repeated time and time again.

If row chaining is your problem, then you most likely do not have PCTFREE set up correctly. Modify this parameter and then export/import your data to get all of the table's data blocks using this new value.

In the end, you may also find that you simply need more space in the tablespace. Add more space to the tablespace's datafiles may also be required.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com