Re: Copy record

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:46:20 GMT

Sure , bad practice but
insert into table 2 as select * from table1 where rowid=xxx;

Why is it a bad practice? If the two tables were not created in exactly the same way then the wrong data would get into the wrong columns. eg
create table1(field1 varchar2(40), field2 varchar2(40)); create table2(field2 varchar2(40), field1 varchar2(40));

will mean the fileds will be juxtaposed.

so it is better to
insert into table2(field1,field2) as select field1,field2 from table1 where rowid=xxx;

Less prone to breaking.
Jim