Re: reserved words

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 04:14:09 GMT

steve wrote:

> so we've discovered we quantified about the same years of X. and we've
> discovered we've different oppinions. well, that's neat. "good on ya"!
> trampling...that's neat too. do you also find yourself offering blood
> sacrifices to honor their sanctitiy. i know that there must be a reason why
> all major dbs have escape character...and, no, it's not because people like
> to throw caution to the wind...infer solid reasoning behind their inclusion
> rather than, "oh yeah, there are guys out there who are going to want to
> 'trample' on our functionality...so let's make it possible for them to do so
> by providing the means".
>
> i really did appreciate the original post that gave the web link to the
> information...sadly, you mistook the poke in my reply as something other
> than a joke and, assumed the question i asked was to support standard
> activity. and, hence, presumed the ensuing lecture was in need. i'm glad
> you've such time on your hands...you must be supporting all those systems
> you've been stuck w/ that don't meet your take on db design.

Actually, I admit I'm very slow today - I got the joke about 1 second after I hit the second send.

And yes, I did make a major assumption about your requirement being a 'standard operation'. My bad.

And a second 'my bad' for assuming that a person might be a newbie when the person can not spell teradata and doesn't know how to escape a reserved word in Oracle (where the escape has been standard for at least 10 years) (but does know the escape in SQL Server) and apparently doesn't realize it's been a reserved keyword since (at least) the SQL-92 standard (based on the way the question was originally posed).

I humbly bow to your obviously superior X Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 23:14:09 CDT