Re: What is the name of the next generaltion Oracle database?

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 05:43:41 -0700

Keith <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:<vhpeoqkj9t6pfa_at_news.supernews.com>...
> I have come to the realization that :
>
> 1. You Sybrand are an idiot. I have never done anything than state my
> OPINION and pointed out links to articles from forbes, cnet etc. You
> truly will be nothing more than a gear-head who will be a an Oracle
> Database table jockey until your job is shipped to India to attain
> better price/performance ratio. That by the way is also my opinion.
>
> 2. Perhaps I should take my PostgreSQL proselytization elsewhere, but
> hope that all are aware that there is a choice.

  1. a Sybrand has contributed many helpful posts to this Technical forum. Let us know when you post your first helpful one here.
  2. b You have made your opinion abundantly clear, your protests to the contrary not withstanding.
  3. As I suggested earlier, moving to another more appropriate group would be a good idea.

Keith, note that I do not object to your point of view but consider this:

You final comment hints that those of us here are blind to other choices. I assure you that many of us are well aware of the choices. Personally I have worked on many different DBMS products, commercial, custom, and freeware. Is PostgrSQL best for ALL possible DB apps? Is ORACLE? Is MS ACCESS?
The answer to all three is no, No, NO.

For example, a key assignment I had on one contract was to evaluate several products and make a recommendation for that company's new product to use. ORACLE came out best, even though it resulted in a contract price over a million dollars and another product would have been closer to a tenth or less of that. The reason? ORACLE could handle the concurrency and performance needed where the other product could not. The job we have as Software Engineers is to pick the best tool for the task at hand, one that meets all the requirements, not just price.

Your need to pick the right tool for your task. Having picked that tool, it is helpful to have a forum like this to get assistance on that tool, without being bombarded by advertizing for other tools.

Get the point now? Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 07:43:41 CDT