Re: Oracle client

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2003 13:50:41 -0700

"elha" <elha69_at_free.fr> wrote in message news:<3f1bf66e$0$14556$afc38c87_at_news.easynet.fr>...
> Hi all,
> 2 databases server on my site : Oracle 7 and Oracle 8.1.7 on dedicated
> server.
>
> Application 1 (from Editor E1) which is using Oracle 7 needs 16 bits Oracle
> client
> Application 2 (from Editor E2) which is using Oracle 8 needs 32 bits Oracle
> client
>
> All client are win98.
>
> when using on same station Application 1 and Application 2, Application 1 is
> very very very slow, Application 2 still runs normaly.
> When I exit Application 2, then Application 1 runs normaly. But I need to
> run both application at the same time on every stations.
>
> I ask application's editors but they never give me a sufiisant explanation.
>
> Is there an incompatibility between the 16 and 32 bits clients ?

The Oracle 7 client was never multi-home compatible. That is, Oracle never certified or intended for it to be installed with any other Oracle client on the same machine. The 8.0 Oracle client was similarly never multi-home compatible (as I recall), 8i was the first version of the Oracle client that supported installing multiple versions of the client on the same machine.

If the applications are using ODBC to connect, you have additional problems because the Oracle ODBC driver wasn't multi-home compatible until one of the 8i patchsets (i.e. not 8.1.5.0).

Justin Cave Received on Mon Jul 21 2003 - 15:50:41 CDT