Re: Oracle client

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:43:50 +0200

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:21:21 +0200, "elha" <elha69_at_free.fr> wrote:

>Hi all,
>2 databases server on my site : Oracle 7 and Oracle 8.1.7 on dedicated
>server.
>
>Application 1 (from Editor E1) which is using Oracle 7 needs 16 bits Oracle
>client
>Application 2 (from Editor E2) which is using Oracle 8 needs 32 bits Oracle
>client
>
>All client are win98.
>
>when using on same station Application 1 and Application 2, Application 1 is
>very very very slow, Application 2 still runs normaly.
>When I exit Application 2, then Application 1 runs normaly. But I need to
>run both application at the same time on every stations.
>
>I ask application's editors but they never give me a sufiisant explanation.
>
>Is there an incompatibility between the 16 and 32 bits clients ?
>
>Thanks in advance

You are seriously telling that you are running Oracle 7.1 on win98? Where did you dig that up? A 16-bits client means a client compatible with Windows *3.1*.
You'd better surprised it runs at all!

And of course: in 32-bit sw the 4-byte integer is the native datatype and all 2-byte integers have to be converted to 4-byte. Just look at the differences between the 16-bit and 32-bit windows api.

You, your boss, and your vendor must be out of their mind to still run unsupported software on an uncertified desupported O/S (because Microsux stopped supporting Win98)

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jul 21 2003 - 12:43:50 CDT