Re: Creating IDs subsequently

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2003 06:45:52 -0700

"Gerd Forster" <gf_at_nospam.at> wrote in message news:<bfgek8$e117p$1_at_ID-119152.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a table with timestamp and other information.
> Recently I added a numeric ID column.
>
> I want to fill in IDs in CHRONOLOGIC ORDER.
>
> Is this possible by an update statement, or do I have to write
> a procedure?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Gerd Forster

Gerd, this is from the version 9.2 DBA Admin manual, "Sequences are database objects from which multiple users can generate unique integers." There is a chapter on managing them in the Admin manual and it refer readers to the Concepts manual for more information. Perhaps a sequence generator (create sequence command in SQL manual) will fit your bill.

If you want true CHRONOLOGIC ORDER what was wrong with using the timestamp as the key?

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jul 21 2003 - 08:45:52 CDT