Re: Orbitz dumps RAC for better reliability

From: rkusenet <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:08:52 -0400

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote
> Here's one at you. I run the following SQL (no hints, just vanilla
> flavoured SQL):
> SELECT count(*) FROM very_large_table.
>
> Less than 3 seconds laters (2.07 to be precise), I get an answer of
> 77.8 million rows.
>
> There are no tricks (like pre-calculated totals). Just standard Oracle
> features. Table is partitioned. Table uses local indexes, including
> bitmap indexes.
>
> Okay, now you pick your database of choice, and tell me how you can do
> it better and faster.

I don't know whether this is a troll, but I ran the same query on a large table (69 million rows) in our Informix server and it was timed (by unix time command) as follows:-

real    0m1.06s
user    0m0.04s
sys     0m0.02s

ravi Received on Mon Jul 21 2003 - 08:08:52 CDT