Re: 'Unbreakable' marketing strategy irresponsible?

From: Orville <hawaiian_at_bacon.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:36:32 GMT

Keith <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in

> Sir,
> The post is on topic with no profanity. If you are not interested,
> others still may. To tell someone to stop posting news that may help
> someone mitigate serious data loss is simply stupid and irresponsible.
>
> FC wrote:
>
>> Could you just stop posting nonsense?
>> Thanks, I appreciate the effort.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Flavio

That article doesn't mention any data loss.

Here's one that does.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=200205081145.37254.mallah%40trade-in dia.com

Subject: data loss due to improper handling of postmaster .... This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: comp.databases.postgresql.admin Date: 2002-05-07 23:17:53 PST

Hi folks,

this is a long email.
I too experienced a data loss of 11 hrs recently. i have the most recent postgresql 7.2.1 on RedHat 6.2

but my case was bit different and i feel my wrong handling of situation was also responsible for it.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me what should have been done *instead* to prevent the data loss.

as far as i remember the following is the post mortem :

the load average of my database server had reached 5.15 and my website had become slugglish so i decided to stop the postmaster and start again, (i dont know it it was a right thing but was inituitive to me)

so i did

# su - postgres
# pg_ctl stop <-- did not work out
it said postmaster could not be stopped.

# pg_ctl stop -m immediate
it said postmaster is stopped ,
but it was wrong ps auxwww still showed some processes running.

# pg_clt -l /var/log/pgsql start
said started successfully (but in reality not )

at this point postmaster is neither dead nor running essentially my live website was down, so under pressure i decided to reboot the system and told my ISP to do so.

but even the reboot was not smooth , the unix admin of my isp says some process does not let the system reboot (and it was postmaster). so he has to put the machine in power cycle and the machine fscked in startup.

as a result i too got similar messages as Bojan has given below . and my website was not connecting to the database. it used to say "database in recovery mode.... "

then i did "pg_ctl stop" then start but nothing worked out.

since it was my production database i had to restore the database in minimum time so i used my old backup that was 11 hrs old and hence a major data loss.

I strongly beleive Postgresql is the best open source database around and is *safe* unless fiddled in a wrong manner.

But there are problems in using it.

due to The current Lack of inbuilt failover and replication solutions in postgresql people like me would tend to become desperate because one cannot keep webserver down for long as a result we take wrong steps.

For mere mortals like me there should be set of guidelines for safe handling of the server. (DOS' and DON'TS type) to prevent DATA LOSS. Also i would like suggestions on how to live with postgresql with its current limitations of replication ( or failover solutions) and without data loss.

what i currently do is backup my database with pg_dump but there are problems with it.

Because of large size of my database pg_dump takes 20-30 mins and the server load increases this means i cannot do it quite frequently on my production server. so in worst case i still loose of duration ranging from 1-24 hrs depending on frequency of pg_dump.
And for many of us even 1Hour of data is *quite* a loss for us.

I would also want comments on usability of USOGRES / RSERV replication systems with postgres 7.2.1

hoping to get some tips from the intellectuals out here

regds
mallah.