Problem entering data for TEXT type

From: David Hall <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:27:22 +0100

Hi all

This might be an FAQ question, so apologies if it's something very fundamental. I've looked through the Oracle documentation, and spent some considerable time scanning Google Groups, but I haven't found anything that deals specifically with the problem that I'm having.

One of my tables has a 'URI' column of TEXT type - and I'm having difficulties with some of the values that I'm trying to enter from SQL*Plus under Oracle 8.0 Personal Edition. For example, one of the URL's looks like:

http://www.websitename.com/forums/register.php?s=&action=signup'

The SQL I'm using looks like this:

INSERT INTO contact VALUES (4,
'http://www.websitename.com/forums/register.php?s=&action=signup')

...and when I submit it I get a prompt which says

"Enter value for action:"

If I just press [return]:

old 2: (4,
'http://www.websitename.com/forums/register.php?s=&action=signup')
new 2: (4, 'http://www.websitename.com/forums/register.php?s==signup')

...with the '&action' part removed. Can someone explain what's going on here? Do I need to escape any '&' string segments somehow?

Many thanks in advance

David Received on Fri Jul 18 2003 - 13:27:22 CDT