Re: Orbitz dumps RAC for better reliability

From: Keith <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:26:23 -0400

Hello?? He reboot the machine without shutting down the database or had a system crash. I have done this on test machines many times and came back without data corruption, however. Also use a journaling file system or use Postgresql replication. The newer versions of PGSQL are better than ever and only getting better. I don't think this was a PGSQL issue at all. Having run PGSQL for 2 1/2 years with PGSQL acting as a database   for syslog and apache logs for many machines, I have never experienced curruption or failure. It is rock solid. I am sure .ORG will tell you the same.

He also was not doing WAL http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/wal.html

A few smart things like journaling FS, WAL and UPS with isolation transformers can go a long way in mitgating stupid problems.