Re: Newbie: 'identifier must be declared' when deleting from table

From: Ian McCall <ian_at_eruvia.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:54:48 +0100

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net> wrote in message news:LetRa.81709$H17.25850_at_sccrnsc02...
> Should be a date. Leaving it at midnight is perfectly acceptable. Dates
> only take 7 bytes and give you flexibility to treat them as dates.

Understand your point, and I'd normally agree. The problem I'm trying to avoid is catching bad coding that could mess up the primary key however.

With archive_date as a date a user could run insert into target_table values(someValue, sysdate) and it would work. sysdate now has a resolution including a time component, which means they could run that statement again and it would work, rather than faily with a duplicate key error (the desired behaviour). Enforcing varchar(8) does mean I could potentially get problems like (someValue, 'herring') working instead of the YYYYMMDD I expected, but at least it won't allow two values for the same day.

Cheers,
Ian Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 05:54:48 CDT