Re: TO_DATE question in insert

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:25:35 GMT

The date is fine. Dates are stored in an internal format in Oracle and when you look at them in SQLPlus they are formatted into a string representation of a date. They are formatted according to a default nls date format setting. So what you are seeing is the default format of the date. To specify how you want to display it use to_char just as you used to_date.

eg
select to_char(sysdate,'mm/dd/yyyy')||' '||to_char(sysdate,'yyyymmdd hh24:mi:ss') from dual;
will return the current date and time formatted 2 different ways. Both are correct, it is just the string representation of the date. Jim

--
Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
with family.  Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign.  You can figure
"Manser" <nmanser_at_progis.de> wrote in message

> Hi oracle folks,
>
> I have done the following insert statement:
>
> the datatype of datum_upd is DATE.
>
> SQL> insert into manser.previsions (cell,datum_upd,idnr) values
> 2 (44,TO_DATE ('15-JUL-2003 1:00','DD-MON-YYYY HH24:MI'),60390);
>
> 1 row created.
>
> when i query it the date format is not what i expect .
>
> SQL> select datum_upd from manser.previsions where cell = 44;
>
> DATUM_UPD
> ---------
> 15-JUL-03
>
> SQL> exit
> Disconnected from Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 -
Production