Re: Sure-fire "kill"

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Jul 2003 17:38:14 -0700

Fred <noway_at_jose.com> wrote in message news:<noway-0F6052.14454715072003_at_vienna7.his.com>...
> There is a setting in INIT.ORA that has the unintended side-effect of
> making sure the ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION command has immediate affect.
> Without this setting, I've seen some instances where the session reports
> as being KILLED in V$SESSION but is not physically removed until the
> instance is bounced. Does anyone remember this value offhand?

I would like to know this if true. It's my understanding that the alter system kill command tells SMON to kill things, which SMON may or may not do depending on it's mood. For example, I'm having issues with an imp hanging, and alter session kill has no effect, since imp is off spinning the cpu and ignoring the database entirely. So I have the long-time habit of killing processes with the OS and letting PMON clean up.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
If a tree falls in the forrest and no one is around, does it make a