Need SQL Server Temp Table equivalent (challenge!)

From: Kin Ng <kin_ng5_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2003 12:42:26 -0700

I have a need to create a temp table for a session only. The temp table's structure is not fixed. Thus the current Oracle temp session table won't work.

Let me explain why I need this. Our business requirement is to have dynamic product attributes. I.e. the product's attribute is user defined. I have a table that stores row wise for each attribute (say Brand) what the values will be (say Ford). Thus the user can define as many attributes as they need. Here is the simplified table:

Product Attribute Value

Sparkplug1   Brand     Ford
Sparkplug2   Brand     GM
Sparkplug1   Size      Big
Sparkplug2   Size      Small
Sparkplug1   Weight    Heavy
Wiper1       Brand     Acura
Wiper1       Size      Long
Wiper2       Brand     GM
Wiper2       Size      Small
Wiper3       Brand     Ford

Now the tricky part, the user expects to see their definition as this from a View that I need to create:

Product Brand Size Weight

Sparkplug1   Ford    Big      Heavy
Sparkplug2   GM      Small    null
Wiper1       Acura   Long     null
Wiper2       GM      Small    null
Wiper3       Ford    null     null

This is almost like a pivot table but I need to do this dynamically. If I can create a table (may I say like the SQL Server temp table) and fill this table and return it, the whole world will be happy.

So how can I do this in Oracle? Received on Sat Jul 12 2003 - 14:42:26 CDT