Re: "View" to a large schema

From: Hypermommy <hypermommy_at_comcast.net>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 13:35:53 -0700

Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.19748657318ea7f09897e6_at_news.la.sbcglobal.net>...

<snipped for brevity>

> Hmm ... I see your point. If you can't change the ASP without opening
> another can of worms (maintenance nightmares) and you can't change the
> schema (the ePortfolio application's Oracle userid that owns all the
> tables), then you don't have many options. Bad news.

Hi again, Karsten,

I've got a bit of a follow up on this but don't know if this is an Oracle related problem or ASP or my machine or what at this point.

I got permission from mgmt to possibly make *small* changes in the ASP code. So I got to looking at the code that was giving me problems. Basically, what it does is opens a recordset listing information about the tables defined in the catalog that are accessible to a given user.

           set objTableRS = objConn.OpenSchema(adSchemaTables)

That sounds like it would do what we were talking about -- the selection of only tables that have had rights granted to the user that logs in.

But then I got to wondering... becuase this is all stemming from the idea that the page is hanging and we thought it was due to the number of records. So I put replaced the "do until rs.EOF" with a for loop that would let it run 10 times. That worked like a charm (except for one thing, which I'll get to in a moment). And then I said to myself, well, how many tables do I have in here so I tried to print out a recordcount of the obTableRS. Well, turns out I didn't have any. So I checked for BOF and EOF and sure enough, I seem to have an empty recordset. Which would explain why objTableRS("Table_Name") kept coming back blank.

So I've got an empty recordset it says...... but then there's one more twist. I can set my upper limit on the for loop to 1000 and everything runs just fine. However, if I go back to my "do until rs.EOF" loop, the darn page hangs up. Can't be something else that's hanging the page becuase when I replace the do loop with a for loop, all works well. Can't be that it's not moving becuase I did double-check that I've got an objTableRS.MoveNext in there.

I'm just stumped..... do you see anything in here, anyone, that you can clue me into?

Thanks. Received on Fri Jul 11 2003 - 15:35:53 CDT