Re: Backup

From: Loinex <loinex_at_aserio.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:16:36 +0200

There is no problem for using the backup, I did it last week, it was as easy as copying data directory backed up to fresh install, and it run like a charm...

In the accountability side, no problem...

I'm not just un MSCE monkey, if I nedd to learn something, I learn it, but this is not a case I need to learn Oracle, only for that job...

"TurkBear" <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> escribió en el mensaje news:7mftgvcu8ofhtpc8duqgmbmjii56k66sj0_at_4ax.com...

> Maybe you do not fully understand..
> If the data is needed ( even if only until the end of the year) then
losing it can be a big problem..If you just back up the
> file system with no knowledge of Oracle, you may not be able to use that
backed up data if your oracle software should get
> corrupted, or you have a disk failure, etc..
>
> The use of EXP and IMP ( in addition to file system backup and knowing how
to install and configure a new Oracle instance) is
> a minimum need to be more sure of an ability to actually get any lost data
back.
> ( The batch file commands you were shown will work if ALL your Oracle data
files ( and what about the software files ?) are
> in c:\oracle\oradata\SID\*.* - In most installations that will not be the
case.).

> Be afraid, be very afraid ( especially if your employer is going to hold
you accountable for any data loss)